It seems as though almost every bar in Wellington is closed this Boxing Day, but we don't see any reason to close.
In fact, we're open as normal from midday every day this holiday period - bar Christmas Day.
To lay it out in a more traditional manner:
- Christmas Day: Closed
- Boxing Day: Open from midday-late
- Sunday 27th: Open from midday-late
- Monday 28th: Open from midday-late
- Tuesday 29th: Open from midday-late
- Wednesday 30th: Open from midday-late
- New Year's Eve: Open from midday-late
- New Year's Day: Open from midday-late
- Day after New Year's Day: Open from midday-late
- Every other day in January: Open from midday-late
Easy. And of course on public holidays we won't be adding any poxy surcharges to your pints.
New Release New Year's Eve-eve-eve
There's so many new beers in the latest BwB shipments that our NRT programme can't afford to take a Christmas holiday.
This coming Tuesday we're tapping our first keg of a vary exciting beer from San Francisco's Almanac Beer Co.
Saison de Brettaville is Almanac's year-round Saison Dolores, that has been aged in white wine barrels with a dozen different strains of brettanomyces.
We tasted this at our recent Fresh Off the Boat tasting, and it came in a very clear second place. The white wine barrel character is far bigger than I anticipated, which works really well with the earthy funk of all that brett.
We'll be tapping the keg at 5pm this Tuesday the 29th, and serving it up in 200ml TeKus, 300ml fancies and even 473ml US pints.
A Chilled Out NYE
We're not the type of bar to hold a big New Year's Eve blowout party. Instead we're kinda running business as usual, with a couple of special additions.
Our very organised music booker managed to find us an awesome act to play the lounge, with Kristopher "King" Kreabsley & John "Sting" Rae funking up the lounge with Nu Jazz Soul from 10pm till next year.
We'll also be tapping a few special kegs from some of our favourite overseas brewers such as:
Rodenbach Grand Cru, Modern Times City of the Sun IPA, Almanac Horchata Almond Milk Stout and it wouldn't have been 2015 without the phenomenal Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin.
The Almanac Horchata Almond Milk Stout will be a new one, and sounds pretty interesting:
"We took the classic ingredients of Horchata and put them into a milk stout, brewed with a blend of dark malts, oats, lactose, and almonds from GL Alfieri Farms and finished with whole vanilla beans and Vietnamese Saigon cinnamon. The result is an inky, dark ale with hints of spice and sweetness."We'll have all of the above pouring from midday New Year's Eve.
Fresh in the FridgeFinally, we've had a few new additions to our fridge from the latest BwB Cali shipment:
- Almanac Farmers Reserve Blueberry Sour
- Ballast Point Indra Kunindra (curry stout)
- Modern Times City of the Sun IPA cans
- Dogpatch Grand Cru 750ml (10.5% Imperial sour ale aged in red wine barrels with a blend of California-grown Zinfandel, Syrah, Tannat, Petite Sirah, and Tempranillo grapes)
- Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA
- Ballast Point Grunion Pale Ale
- Ballast Point Victory at Sea 355ml
If you run out of beer on Boxing Day these and all other bottles in our fridge are available to take away for 20% off bar prices, and you can always grab a rigger of anything on tap.
Wishing you all a great day tomorrow, I hope you get to enjoy a few beers in the sun.